– Photography Policy –
The Howard County Conservancy’s 232-acre farm provides a beautiful backdrop for photography. We welcome the opportunity to host photographers and their clients on the grounds, but we must ensure minimal interruption of Conservancy events and damage to sensitive areas on the property. We invest substantial funding and effort each year to ensure that the grounds and buildings are maintained. To aid the many requests for posed photo shoots, the Conservancy offers an Annual Photography Pass at a fee of $150 per calendar year (January 1st-December 31st). The cost of the pass will not be prorated, and daily passes are not available. Fees collected from the Annual Photography Pass support the upkeep of our 232 acres and are non-refundable.
For the purpose of this policy, a Professional Photographer is defined as someone who is being paid to take photographs. This includes amateurs acting in the role of professional photographer. Photography Passes are not required by professional photographers during the time period their client has rented the Conservancy facilities for special events. Regardless of whether the group is using a professional photographer, groups of more than 10 persons who are using the grounds for an organized event/photo session must have an outdoor area reservation with us. This includes prom/homecoming/class photos. Contact our event manager to arrange this reservation.
Conservancy events and rentals receive priority access, and no other photo shoots can take place at those times. After purchasing an annual pass, photographers will receive access to a Conservancy Events Calendar. Photographers must review this calendar regularly and avoid photo shoots during Conservancy events, including private event rentals. Should you arrive for your photo shoot during a scheduled Conservancy event, you will not be permitted to proceed. Occasionally, a Conservancy event may not be listed on the calendar but will receive priority, in which case photographers may be asked to relocate to another area of the property. We will not limit the number of photo shoots during non-Conservancy event times, so please be courteous to others taking photos at the same time. There are many beautiful locations on our 232 acres for your photo shoot. *Please note that all content of the photo sessions must be consistent with our family-friendly location. Any photo shoots that staff deem inappropriate will be asked to leave the grounds, the photography pass will be revoked, and fees will not be refunded.
The lanyard/badge that is your 2023 Photo Pass MUST be picked up at our office before your first photo shoot. We cannot mail the pass to you. Your Photography Pass badge MUST be CLEARLY visible at all times while shooting on our grounds and must be displayed to Conservancy staff when requested.
Site Rules & Regulations
- Please be respectful of the property and other guests at all times.
- Our grounds are open from dawn to dusk daily. Photography is not permitted outside of these hours.
- Your Photography Pass MUST be visible at all times while shooting on our grounds. It must be worn outside jackets or on your camera bag so that it is visible from a distance. Conservancy staff and volunteers reserve the right to check your pass and may interrupt your photo session if the pass is not clearly visible.
- Parking is permitted only in the paved parking lot. Overflow parking is located in the front field and is marked with signage. Photographer and client cars may not block driveways, park along any driveways, or block access areas. Photo equipment and models may not block any pathways, driveways, or building entrances.
- No Conservancy equipment may be moved for a photo shoot, including benches, hay/straw bales, or tree stumps. Limited small props are allowed to be brought onsite for use during the photo session and must be removed when finished. No furniture, livestock, confetti, balloons, streamers, glitter, sequins, or similar items are allowed. No candles or open flame are permitted as props on the grounds. Ensure that all areas used during the photo shoot are left in their original condition.
- Climbing or mounting equipment in trees or on buildings is not permitted.
- Dogs are allowed on the grounds, but they must remain leashed, and owners must clean up after them.
- The Conservancy reserves the right to deny access to specific areas for photography purposes.
- Please note, for your safety, that Montjoy Barn is a historical structure with low-hanging beams and rough barn flooring.
- Use of the Conservancy property is at your own risk.
- The content of photo sessions must remain consistent with the Conservancy’s family-friendly location.
- Annual Photography Passes are valid for the calendar year only and expire on December 31st.
A Photographer’s Pass may be revoked for disregarding these site use rules, and fees will not be refunded.
Photo by Barbara O. Photography
Waiver – Photographers and their assistants, clients, models, and guests will be responsible for adhering to the site rules during use of the Conservancy property. The Howard County Conservancy and its directors, officers, agents, representatives, and employees shall not be liable for injury to persons or property occurring on or about the premises from any cause whatsoever. The undersigned will indemnify the Howard County Conservancy and its directors, officers, agents, representatives and employees, and save it harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, damages, liability and expense in connection with injury to persons or property arising from the use or occupancy by photographers, their assistants, clients, models, or guests on the premises, or occasioned wholly or in part by any act or omission of Lessee, its agents, employees, or invitees of Lessee.
After you purchase your pass, you will receive an email confirmation with a link and password to our online calendar showing when the property is open for photo shoots. Please do not schedule a photo shoot prior to purchasing the pass as your date may not be available. Once you have purchased a pass, please continue checking the calendar prior to scheduling your sessions to ensure that the times are not blocked for other events. If you would like to guarantee a particular date/time for your photo shoot, you are welcome to rent the site. Contact our event manager to arrange this reservation.
Questions? Contact us at 410/465-8877 or email email@example.com.